Allergic to Honey?
Although it is not very common, a honey allergy is something that can be experienced by different individuals.
This allergy is not actual an allergy to the honey, but it is a root cause of individuals who are allergic to pollen, bee stings, and other components that go in to the making of the honey that they consume.
Due to the fact that honey is a byproduct of bees and pollen, those who suffer from those allergies, might be more susceptible to a honey allergy.
It is not usually a severe allergy, life threatening, and can generally be treated quite easily.
Should you have severe allergies always check with your doctor before consuming anything.
How The Allergy Is Found
When the immune system identifies honey as a potentially harmful substance, antibodies are produced to fight it.
In response, different symptoms are going to occur in the body.
The symptoms, and the severity, are going to depend on how allergic an individual is to the components that make up the honey.
There are a few different symptoms one might experience with a honey allergy including:
- Tongue swelling up
- Watery eyes
- Itchy throat
- Hives or constant sneezing
In certain cases, inflammation of the skin, excessive congestion, or headaches might also ensue.
Symptoms vary from person to person, as does the severity, so it might be difficult to notice the allergy.
Knowing that you have an allergy to pollen or bees, might be an easy way to identify the allergy, and put the symptoms together.
Anaphylactic shock, which results in dizziness, fainting spells, shortness of breath, or seizures, are all possible when the allergy persists.
This shock can’t be treated with medication, so if these episodes are noted, it is important that you call for emergency help immediately, in order to avoid further complications, or have an epi pen available should a severe allegy episode develop and call for help right away.
Preventing The Honey Allergy
The most obvious and common prevention is avoiding honey; as it is not a commonly used ingredient, it is simple to avoid it in most foods or beverages you consume.
Diphenhydramine is a medication that certain individuals will take prior to consuming honey, in order to help avoid the milder allergies, and to help stave off the reactions in the event that they do have a food allergy, and consume foods that might contain traces of honey in it.
Taking antihistamines directly following consumption of honey is one of the easiest and best treatment methods (benadryl). In most instances, this should treat the symptoms that you experience, and as most of them are generally mild, you will not require medical attention for this allergy.
However, if the symptoms persist for one hour or longer, after taking the antihistamines, it is advisable to seek medical attention for the allergy, and the persistent symptoms that you are experiencing.
Although a honey allergy is not common, and in most cases not life threatening they are real. In most cases, the allergy is because of an underlying allergy (to bee stings or to pollen), so knowing off these allergies, and taking the precautions (taking antihistamines beforehand), is an easy way to treat the allergy, if you do consume honey.
Always check with your doctor before consuming anything you may be allergic to.
Tea With Honey – Different kinds of honey varieties can be mixed and matched with various tea blends to make a very customized cup of tea.
Fix Your Cold With Honey – Honey contains several antibacterial and antioxidant properties that work in helping individuals to recover faster from their colds.
Health Benefits of Honey -The benefits of using honey certainly go beyond its wonderful flavor. Honey is a healthy source of carbohydrates and they give your body strength and energy.