Honey has been used all through history as a super food and a remedy for a variety of ailments. It contains enzymes and nutrients that benefit the body in so many ways. Raw honey is used today to treat wounds and rid the body of free radicals that harm the cells and DNA.
Research shows that replacing refined sugar with raw honey in your diet offers incredible health benefits and beauty .
1. Antioxidants source Taking raw honey can fill your body with antioxidant. Some types of honey contains many antioxidants as found in vegetables and fruits. With regular intake of antioxidants, your cells will be protected from damaging free radicals. These contribute significantly to the aging process and development of heart diseases and cancer development. The phenols in honey have been shown by various studies to prevent heart diseases.
2. Alleviate allergies Consuming locally produced honey in its raw form helps alleviate allergies caused by local allergens. When you consume honey which usually contain various pollen, you body develops immunity making you strong for that particular environment.
According to [Dr. Mathew Brennecke], honey acts as a natural vaccine that exposes the body to small amounts of the allergen and triggers the immune system to create specific antibodies that make the body stronger with time. When you then get exposed to the allergen, the immune response will be minimal and negligible. Persons with birch pollen allergy can experience a [70 percent] decrease in severe symptoms and a 60 percent reduction in allergic symptoms by taking honey produced during the birch pollen season.
3. Reduced body fat Honey consumption has been linked to weight reduction in people. A study at San Diego State University found out that when you replace sugar with honey, you prevent adding weight and your blood sugar also reduces. Honey effectively [lowers serum triglycerides]. Raw honey has also been shown to activate the hormone that [suppresses appetite] in humans. This is the bet natural way to reduce body fat. Limiting food intake without starving is a healthy form of weight management and raw honey is at the center of it all.
4. Energy boosting Using honey can help beat the afternoon energy slump. The unique carbohydrate composition of honey, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes, and vitamins make it a natural energy booster. Use it pre-exercise or as a snack after expending energy at the gym. Just add a tablespoon of honey to a glass of water and make your budget-friendly energy drink.
5. Honey and athletes Other than helping in quick recovery, honey boosts performance for athletes. It also increase endurance levels while reducing muscular fatigue due to the combination of fructose and glucose in honey in a perfect ratio. Honey is a simple yet effective natural alternative to sports drinks. Honey does not induce hypoglycemia, only a mild increase in blood sugar is experienced. The blend of natural sugars in honey takes longer to digest hence the slow release into the blood. This makes honey act as a time-release for muscle fuel especially when exercising. Its low glycemic index makes honey a healthy source of energy.
6. Brain health As we age, especially women, the instances of hormone-related decline in mental function are higher after menopause. Taking raw honey helps prevent cell damage caused by free radicals. Taking a spoonful of honey every day helps boost brain health for everyone and especially post-menopausal women. It is even better than taking pills to combat the decline. It has also been found to prevent dementia and cognitive decline in addition to enhancing circulation in the brain and the cholinergic system.
7. Treatment of burns and wounds With its natural antimicrobial properties, honey can treat wounds and burns effectively. This practice date back several thousand years. This is why honey can last so long protecting itself from bacteria. It works both externally and internally as a natural antibiotic agent. Unprocessed honey has been shown to effectively treat ulcers and wounds that fail to respond to conventional treatments like the [methicillin-resistant] bacteria that is treated by honey in some European. raw honey contains effective antibacterial and antifungal activity to kill the unwanted bacteria on and in the body. The natural hydrogen peroxide in honey makes it a natural antiseptic. The effectiveness of raw honey in fighting bacterial and fungal infections depends on the honey type and the source of nectar. When used on the skin and face, honey clears the skin complexion. Just wash with diluted honey to help remove acne and pimple spots.
8. Treats cough Honey has been used for centuries to treat a cough both in children and adults. This natural cure helps clear persistent cough by taking just a couple of teaspoons. Giving children two teaspoons of honey before bed helps reduce the frequency of coughing. Make your natural cough syrup by mixing honey, ginger roots, marshmallow root, cinnamon and water, and boil. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice once it is cool enough then serve in a cup.
9. Treats digestive issues Taking raw honey regularly can help in treating digestive problems like diarrhea and H. Pylori that is known to cause peptic ulcers. Just one to two teaspoons of honey will soothe the pain and help heal the digestive system. Due to its antioxidant properties, raw honey can prevent colon cancer from developing by neutralizing the free radicals released during the digestive process. Honey also prevents other forms of cancer that may develop in the body from damaged DNA that results from the effects of free radicals.
10. Relieves stress side effects When undergoing a stressful situation,
the body takes the toll, and this creates some side effects like sleeplessness,
lack of appetite and poor mental health. Taking honey can help you get a full
night’s sleep. Honey increase the production of serotonin, the mood promoting
hormone. The body then converts this hormone to melatonin which is responsible
for proper regulation of sleep. You will have longer sleep duration even when
stressed. The high levels of tryptophan in honey aids in better sleep. If you are experiencing a hangover, consider
taking some honey to relieve the feeling. It helps the body break down alcohol
to get your head back to normal working devoid of the headaches. Taking honey
before drinking helps prevent a rapid increase in blood alcohol level that is
responsible for the throbbing headaches.